Thursday, January 12, 2012

Oreo Balls

I swear I'm alive. I apologize for the unintentional hiatus, but I come back with an awesome recipe: Oreo Balls.

I was first introduced to them through a student of mine. She makes them on a regular basis and there is always someone walking around school with a Ziploc of Oreo Balls. She also gave me a Tupperware full of them for my birthday back in September. Now, I knew about Cake Pops and thought those were good, but these are REALLY good. I'm really not obsessed with Oreos, despite two recent entries featuring Oreos. But they are just so good and anything with cream cheese is definitely always good. But watch out - these are extremely sweet!

Naked Oreo Balls

I bought myself a food processor for this because I knew it would take more energy than I wanted to spend on making these. Funny thing is, I had to make the first batch the hard way (smashing the Oreos with an empty wine bottle and mixing the cream cheese in by hand). I had pressed the test button on my outlet which turned off every single outlet in the kitchen and I didn't realize this until the second batch. Thankfully, I did figure it out because it's an amazing food processor that got the job done in a matter of minutes and I still had Nutter Butter Balls to make.

Oreo Balls

I wasn't as impressed with Nutter Butter Balls as I was with Oreo Balls. The peanut butter and cream cheese and Nutter Butter cookies mixture turned out extremely greasy and definitely not as tasty as Oreo Balls. I think I'd be better off just making Buckeyes.

The Oreo Balls were for my students as "motivation" during their midterm. Because of midterms, this week has been a bit laid back. Next week will be the same until we start the second semester. I cannot believe how much time has passed and how much I've come along with my job. I've finally gotten into a routine and I don't spend my whole night planning for the next day's classes. My relationships with my students are great and I love spending the day with them. On most days, I'm not even that tired anymore when I get home from school. But, of course, I've still got a lot of work to do, especially with discipline and making sure that I cover everything before the Virginia state tests. Progress... One step at a time, I can survive.

I hope everyone's year is off to a good start. Enjoy some Oreo Balls to make it even better.

Oreo Balls

1 package Oreos
8 oz cream cheese (Philadelphia preferably - it's the creamiest)
24 oz almond bark

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.

In a food processor, add Oreos and pulse until they are fine crumbs. Add cream cheese in cubes and blend until cookie mixture sticks together. Roll into 1-inch balls and place on prepared baking sheet. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, melt the almond bark in 30-second intervals in the microwave or on the stove using a double boiler.

Take the Oreo Balls out of the refrigerator. Dip them one by one into the almond bark using a spoon or a fork and place on another piece of parchment paper. Let sit until set or chill in the fridge.

No comments: