Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Sour Cream Buns

For almost a full week during my Spring Break, I'll be staying in Lexington. Not all that unusual because I am here almost every weekend, but this time, instead of just the two of us or the three of us, there are four of us! Us = ex-housemates. Sadly, one girl couldn't make it out, so it's not 100%, but we'll have to do this again and make sure she comes out next time!

I got here Monday late morning and spent the evening doing an Easter Egg Hunt. A day late, but still a lot of fun. For the third annual egg hunt, there were 106 eggs and seven hunters. I managed to get second place (yay!) and won a chocolate bunny that was "born to hunt" (according to its hat). I won the first annual egg hunt, but I've been getting second place after that. I guess I need to work more on my training!

Sour Cream Bunny Buns

To share with my competitors, I made bunny shaped buns. The first batch I made, I cut the ears the wrong way. Instead of cutting the ears from behind, I cut them from the front, but either way they looked more like cats or Pikachu rather than bunnies. People still got it and thought bunnies right away. Of course, you don't have to make the ears so that they resemble bunnies. Just shape them into rolls, place them in a 9x13 baking pan, and bake.

Sour Cream Bunny Buns Sour Cream Bunny Buns

I didn't want to make Hot Cross Buns again and these were easy to make. I'm really glad I made these because these buns are DELICIOUS. Somebody asked if I made these out of croissant dough, but the only thing different from regular dough is the sour cream. But it does taste like croissant dough and it reminds me of bread that I would buy from the Asian bakeries back home. I definitely need to make these for my parents when I'm home again because they will enjoy these. Oh, I think I just got an idea for Mother's Day... :)

Sour Cream Buns
From Kirbie Cravings

2 1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tbsp sugar
1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
1 tsp salt
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
1/4 cup water
2 tbsp butter
1 egg

In a large bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt.

In a small saucepan, heat the sour cream, water and 2 tbsp butter to 120°-130°; add to dry ingredients. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add egg and 1/2 cup flour; beat 2 minutes longer. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.

Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. (I used my stand mixer with the dough hook attachment.) Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 24 pieces. Shape each into a smooth oval. Try to make one side slightly thinner for the head. Taking a pair of kitchen sheers, make two cuts on the top of the dough to form ears. Place bunnies on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.

Bake at 375F for about 10 minutes or until golden brown.

1 comment: