Monday, March 3, 2014

Lemon Ricotta Cookies

Cream cheese in cookies is totally normal. Cheddar cheese in the crust of apple pies is not unheard of. Any more cheeses we can add to sweet things?

Yes! Ricotta Cookies are actually pretty common, but I had not heard of them. I associate ricotta only with pasta dishes so it took me a while simply to get used to the idea of ricotta in the cookies. I'm so glad I finally decided to make them. First off, I can't resist anything lemon so I knew I would like these somewhat. Since it is not an overwhelming cheese anyway, the cookies have only a very slight taste of ricotta. Second, the texture is the best part. The ricotta makes them oh-so cake-y and, boy, are they hard to resist. Third, did I mention the lemon?

Lemon Ricotta Cookies

The cookies themselves are not sweet, so I would not skip out on the glaze. Next time, I might double the lemon zest added to the cookie batter as it wasn't enough for me. The only problem I had is storage. They are great the day of and taste great days after as well, but a day after storing them in an airtight container, they were very moist. Anyone who have made these cookies before have a solution? Just wondering, but really, at least the taste is not affected.

Lemon Ricotta Cookies
From Picky Cook

For the cookies
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
15 oz whole milk ricotta cheese
3 tbsp lemon juice
2 large lemons, zested

For the glaze
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
3 tbsp lemon juice
2 large lemons, zested

Preheat oven to 375F.

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the butter and the sugar. Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating until incorporated. Add the ricotta cheese, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Beat to combine. Stir in the dry ingredients.

Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Spoon the dough (about 2 tablespoons for each cookie) onto the baking sheets. Bake for 15 minutes, until slightly golden at the edges. Remove from the oven and let the cookies rest on the baking sheet for 20 minutes.

Combine the glaze ingredients in a small bowl and stir until smooth. Drizzle the glaze onto the cookies. Let the glaze harden for about 2 hours.

No comments: