Sunday, March 16, 2014

Red Curry Chicken

On a weeknight, something easy is the way to go for me. I rely on curries a lot because they're super easy to make and, served alongside rice, they're super filling! I can't make my own curry sauces so I like to buy the Golden Curry cubes and Thai Kitchen's red curry sauce. I grew up on Golden Curry cubes, but red curry is new to me and I love it. Coconut milk is so delicious in this curry -- I really could eat this all the time.

Red Curry Chicken

I used different vegetables than what the original recipe used, so you can put in whatever you like. Instead of bok choy, snow peas, and sweet potatoes, I used regular potatoes, sweet onions, and carrots. Brown rice might be better for you, but white rice is a must for me when it comes to a dish with a wonderful sauce.

Once it's a good time to get fresh mussels, I will have to post a recipe for Red Curry Steamed Mussels. It is amazing and the leftover sauce is good to just eat with rice once all the mussels are in your belly.

Always keep this red curry paste in stock. You'll find yourself making this often.

Red Curry Chicken
From Eat, Live, Run 

1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized chunks
1 tbsp coconut oil [I used vegetable oil]
3 cups coconut milk, light or regular [Definitely go regular!]
1 1/2 cups water
3 tbsp red curry paste
2 baby bok choy, chopped
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1″ knob ginger, grated
1 cup chopped snow peas
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1/4″ thick pieces
1 1/2 tsp sugar
2 tsp fish sauce
juice of 1 lime
1 tsp salt

Heat the coconut oil in a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium high heat. When hot, add the ginger and saute until fragrant — 2 minutes.

Add the chicken and sear until not quite cooked through. Then, add the curry paste. Mix the ginger, chicken and curry paste together and continue to saute over high heat for another two minutes.

Pour in the coconut milk and water, then add in the vegetables. Bring curry to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer. Stir in the fish sauce, salt, lime juice and sugar. Continue simmering over medium/low heat until veggies are soft. This will take about 10 minutes.

Serve curry over rice or quinoa!

No comments: