Saturday, November 15, 2014

Split Pea Soup

Where did fall go? Winter has taken over this month in full force for us Virginians. Temperatures in the low 40s during the day and 20s during the night. Flurries here and there, even school delays and closures for some counties! It's crazy. I really should be careful what I wish for this winter... I had said I wanted lots of snow days this winter, so much so that the governor would have to excuse all schools or whatever it is he does, but I guess I forgot how such cold temperatures feel when I have to be in it. For now, I will stay in the comfort of my nice, warm home with some of this nice, warm soup. It's definitely time to pull out my Dutch oven and my slow cooker for warm soup belly.

Split Pea Soup

I love thick soups but have always found them difficult to make them just like the restaurants do. I have yet to find a good potato soup recipe or a chowder (so if you've got one, please share!). I have, however, found the perfect split pea soup recipe. Simple ingredients but still thick and chock full of flavor. I had posted a vegetarian version of this soup before but I realized that the bacon and the ham hock add so much flavor that I had to make it this way all the time. The meat pieces are great to bite into. You don't need a lot - just a handful to get a piece with every other spoonful. I unfortunately can't remember where I got this recipe from, so if this looks familiar to you, please let me know the source! I'd like to give credit where credit is due for such a wonderful soup.

Split Pea Soup

1 ham hock
1/2 cup ham chunks
1/2 lb split peas
8 cups chicken broth
2 slices bacon
2 sticks celery, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
1 large potato, peeled and chopped
1 medium onion, chopped

In a large pot, place split peas, chicken broth, bacon, and ham hock. Bring to a boil and skin off froth. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 45 minutes. When ready, remove the ham hock. Bring back to a boil and put in all the vegetables. Reduce heat and simmer again for 15 minutes. Add ham chunks and cook for another 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove the bacon and meat. Puree the soup and return the meat to reheat. Serve and enjoy!

No comments: