Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Buttermilk Pancakes

Did you know you could freeze buttermilk?

I didn't either. I bought half a gallon of buttermilk to make Buttermilk Pie for Thanksgiving, but it had been sitting in my fridge not being used. I really hate to see food go to waste, so I Googled if freezing it would be possible at all and it's actually quite commonly done. I froze about half of what was left and used the other half to make buttermilk pancakes. Breakfast for dinner, anyone?

Buttermilk Pancakes

Searching for buttermilk pancake recipes, I came across this one. It's from Gwyneth Paltrow, of whom I'm not a big fan, but once in a while, I like some of the recipes she has to offer. These are so soft, but a different kind of soft that sour cream pancakes have (see here). These are thin and not-so-fluffy-but-just-really-tender pancakes. As I was making them for myself, the pancakes were still hot when I was ready to eat. Serving these immediately is probably the best. I also opted to do without the strawberry sauce because I love syrup and I didn't have strawberries on hand.

Buttermilk Pancakes

Speaking of pancakes, you should visit this site. It's hilarious and the food looks delicious.

Buttermilk Pancakes
From Sweet Tarte

1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 tbsp granulated sugar
Heaping 1/2 tsp baking powder
Heaping 1/4 tsp salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tbsp unsalted butter
1/2 cup buttermilk
Milk or water for thinning batter

1/2 cup strawberries, sliced
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp lemon juice

Combine the strawberries, sugar and lemon juice in a bowl and set aside.

In a medium pan or cast iron skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Pour the melted butter into a small bowl, and return the pan to the stove. Once the butter has cooled slightly, whisk in the buttermilk and the egg.

In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the dry ingredients, add the wet ingredients, and whisk until just combined. If your batter is too thick, add a tablespoon of two or milk or water to thin it out (the thinner the batter, the more delicate the pancakes).

Ladle batter into greased pan or skillet working in batches of 2 to 3 pancakes at a time. When the top of the pancakes are covered with bubbles (after about 2 to 3 minutes), flip and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes or so, until pancakes are cooked through and golden. Transfer to a plate and keep warm until it's time to serve.

To make the strawberry sauce, puree the strawberry mixture in a food processor or blender. Heat the puree in a small saucepan before serving.

No comments: