Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Asian Barbecue Baked Tofu

How is everyone enjoying the summertime? I hope it's going fantastic. I've neglected this blog for too long and I do apologize, but I finally now have the time to make something, take pictures, and write an entry.

Right after graduation, I went home to New Jersey for a couple weeks. I hadn't seen my family for 6 months and it felt so good to be home. My mom made me all the Korean food I wanted to eat, so I ended up not doing much cooking. I got to play piano whenever I wanted. I picked up cross-stitching as a new hobby. And I went to IKEA for some home shopping. Actually, I've been doing a lot of shopping lately. I'm finally trying to make my apartment look more like a home and not just a shoebox where I eat and sleep. It took me only a year to buy a loveseat, but man, does this sofa feel good after curling up on the floor in front of the TV for so long. In addition to updating my apartment, I've been updating my wardrobe, too. It's long overdue retail therapy that I need after a stressful school year.

Speaking of stressful, summer remediation started last week. While other subjects have a maximum of 10 students, I've got 30 students just for Algebra I. Thankfully, another teacher is helping me out and some students have stopped coming, so it's a more manageable size now. Only two more classes and then two tests to proctor next week and I'll have my summer back. For two weeks and then the school year starts :\

Asian Baked BBQ Tofu

Anyway, here's something I made a while ago. I've been eating lots of grilled stuff lately at other people's houses. I don't have a grill at my apartment, so I resorted to baking with the same barbecue flavors. If you're sick of meat and want to change it up a bit, try this recipe. The tofu gets nice and crispy in the oven and it absorbs the barbecue flavor so it tastes great despite being meatless! As you can see on the plate, I ate the tofu by itself with veggies, but stuff them in a roll and eat it as a sandwich and it'll still be good.

Asian Barbecue Baked Tofu

I have been baking more these days, but no pictures. Plus, I can't seem to find my USB cord so I don't know how I'll transfer my pictures until I find it! I'll try to find it real soon and post more often!

Asian Barbecue Baked Tofu
From Dash of East

1 block of extra firm tofu
3 tbsp barbecue sauce (or honey barbecue sauce)
3 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp maple syrup
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 clove garlic, minced

Drain the tofu from the liquid that it is packaged in. Slice the tofu into small pieces, either cubes or triangles.

Mix the barbecue sauce, soy sauce, maple syrup, vinegar, red pepper flakes and garlic in a mixing bowl. Marinate the tofu in the barbecue mixture, for two to three hours.

When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 425F. Place the arrange the tofu pieces on a pre-greased cookie sheet and bake in the oven for about 18 to 20 minutes. Turn the tofu pieces over and bake for another 6 to 7 minutes, or until the tofu slices are a nice golden, brown color. It may take longer (or shorter) depending on the oven, so keep an eye on the tofu.

When the tofu is golden, remove from the oven. Serve by itself or on a burger bun and enjoy!

No comments: