Thursday, September 20, 2012

Mushrooms in Cream on Toast

The stress of school is getting to me this week. I really felt the stress today when my last class of the day was rowdier than usual and we couldn't get much work done. By the time I got home, I didn't want to do anything! Not even eat, which is weird, because I'm usually a stress-eater. I knew I had to get something in my stomach though, so I looked in my fridge, saw the mushrooms and the leftover heavy cream (from the Samoas Cake) and thought of this recipe.

Mushrooms In Cream On Toast

It's extremely simple, but still satisfying with a side of grains or salad. I love mushrooms so I loved the flavor of this recipe, and the creaminess from the heavy cream really adds to the soft texture of the mushrooms. This would make great appetizers if put on crackers or little pieces of bread. The mushrooms would also be great tossed with some pasta for a more filling meal.

Hopefully, after this week, the students will calm down a bit. This week is Homecoming Week so the girls have been talking about dresses all week and how they think the dance will be and how they think their floats will come along for the pep rally tomorrow. I did participate in some of the dress-up days, like Sports Day and Crazy Socks Day, but I decided against Pajama Day because I knew I wouldn't wanna do anything then! Homecoming is unusually early this year, but I guess it's a good thing it'll be out of the way. Tomorrow will be a long work day despite shorter classes because of the football game at night, but I think it'll be fun to see my students outside of class.

Mushrooms in Cream on Toast
From The Meaning of Pie

Handful of coarsely chopped mushrooms
1 tbsp butter
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 shallot, minced
1/4 to 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
Salt & pepper
Fresh thyme
1 slice thick crusty white bread

In a heavy skillet, melt the butter. Add the shallots and garlic and sauté over high heat for about one minute. Add all the mushrooms and continue to sauté, stirring and tossing the mushrooms constantly, for 4 to 5 minutes or until they are nicely darkened and juicy in appearance. Lower the heat under the skillet and add the cream, which will bubble furiously for a few moments. Continue to stir until the sauce is thickened to your liking. Remove from the heat.

Pour the mushrooms and cream over the toasted bread and season with fresh thyme, salt and pepper.

No comments: