Saturday, May 31, 2014

Coconut Macaroons

I'm so glad school is over, but now I'm not so sure what to do with all this free time. I turned to baking. When I made a Samoas cake for a friend's birthday a while back, I had half a bag of coconut flakes leftover and no idea what to do with it. I'd catch a glimpse of it every time I opened my fridge and wondered what I could possibly make with it. Coconut is just not an ingredient that I bake with often. But then I discovered macaroons and realized that I really, really love them. Ever since then, I have been on a quest to find the perfect recipe. I tried a recipe with egg whites but I must have messed up somehow because the cookies ended up with cooked egg for edges. I probably should give it another try before I give up on it, but today I decided to try a different recipe with no egg whites. It involves sweetened condensed milk, some of which I already had in my fridge! Yay for using up leftovers.

image

These turned out great - especially the chocolate-dipped bottoms. The crunch from the almond slices were also a great touch to the texture. I'm not going to be premature and call these my favorite just yet. Easiest, yes, but not favorite. Still, give it a try. Your mouth will thank you for the deliciousness and your hands will thank you for the minimal labor involved.

My waistline will probably not thank me if I end up baking every day this summer so thank goodness I am working at summer school starting in July. It won't be full days nor every day so I don't mind it too much. Wish the whole school year was like that! ;)

Coconut Macaroons
From Hip Foodie Mom

3 cups coconut flakes, sweetened
1 cup sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup almond slices
6 oz semi-sweet chocolate

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone non-stick baking mat. In a large bowl, combine coconut flakes, sweetened condensed milk and almonds.

Using a cookie scoop or spoon, place tablespoon sized macaroons on your baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the macaroons are lightly golden brown.

Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 15 minutes.

While the macaroons are cooling, using a microwave safe bowl, microwave the chopped chocolate in 30-second intervals until softened and melted. Whisk together until smooth. Dip in the coconut macaroons and set on parchment paper to allow the chocolate to set. You can also place the chocolate dipped macaroons in your refrigerator for about 20-30 minutes if desired. Enjoy!

No comments: